Monday, June 16, 2014

Sunflowers & Swiss Chard

I love sunflowers, they are my favourite northern hemisphere flowers.  Every year I plant sunflowers in containers.

The containers are usually planted with dwarf sunflowers but this year I am pushing it.  As I said I love sunflowers so I am trying a few larger ones in pots.  We will see how this goes.

Music Box is a dwarf sunflower.
Music Box Sunflowers

The next container has 4 varieties of sunflowers in it.  The taller ones are at the back and the shorter ones are in the front.  Should be interesting to see how this works.  From the stick in the back going clockwise are Valentine, Royal Flush, Van Gogh & Cinnamon Red.  It's a bit crowded but that's the way I like it, over-planted.

Valentine
Royal Flush
Van Gogh
Cinnamon Red




I also LOVE, LOVE, LOVE swiss chard (Silver Beet for you Kiwis).  This year I planted 3 varieties, Italian Rib, my all time favorite, Peppermint Stick-which is new this year & Garden Rainbow which I have not tried until now.  I have to fight off one daughter who likes swiss chard as well.

Italian Rib Swiss Chard
Peppermint Stick
Garden Rainbow




We also planted our strawberry urn.  Looks great with Surprise Yellow petunias & Hot Rod Red Petunias from Dummen Red Fox.  Love the container!



No comments:

Post a Comment