Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Put em Up! Fruit - Book Review



Put em Up! Fruit by Sherri Brooks Vinton

This book follows in the footsteps of her previous book 'Put em Up!' but what I really like in this one is beside each recipe that you are putting up, there is a recipe to 'Use It Up!  How to use what you are making.  eg.  Quick Apricot Jam - Use It Up! Sticky Chicken Legs.

I made 'Quick Peach Jam' pg 180 the other day with peaches I had picked and something needed to be done with them.   This recipe for the peach jam is made with Pomona's Universal Pectin which I really like due the fact it uses much less sugar than conventional pectin.  The 'Use It Up!' recipe for the Quick Peach Jam is 'Sweet and Sour Chicken' which will definitely be on our dinner list. 

The other recipe I really want to try is 'Meyer Lemon Gastrique'. (definition from Wikipedia)  This recipe looks really easy to make and will spice up any meal.  I absolutely LOVE Meyer lemons but just need to find a store where I can purchase them.  Any variety of lemons will work but the sweetness of Meyers will make it unique I am sure!

A definite addition to your library


No comments:

Post a Comment